Defense continues to be the theme of the draft for the Bolts as the Chargers selected N.C. State DT Justin Jones in the third-round with the 84th overall pick.
Stay tuned for more about Jones throughout the night, including an exclusive first interview with the newest Charger, initial reaction from General Manager Tom Telesco, film breakdown and more.
For now, here's his profile courtesy of NFL.com:
Weight: 309 pounds
Jones excelled on an ultra-talented Wolfpack defensive line in 2017, piling up 34 stops, 8.5 for loss, and 2.5 sacks in 13 starts with fellow seniors Bradley Chubb, B.J. Hill, and Kentavius Street. He received honorable mention All-ACC recognition as a 13-game starter, making 43 tackles, 6.5 for loss, and three sacks. Jones is a short but active, quick, and strong interior presence with foot quickness that he flashed in 2015 when he started three of 13 games played that year (29 tackles, 6.5 for loss, two sacks.) The four-star recruit earned playing time in 10 games as a true freshman and was credited with 11 tackles that season.
- Doesn't carry much bad weight on his frame
- Possesses good overall play strength and upper body power
- Fairly sturdy in his lower half with a wide base to balance against angle blocks and double teams
- Shows an ability to pry himself through double teams when he is able to split them early
- Shows strength and desire to take an early stand and battle back when losing in the early phases of block engagement
- Hands stay busy with punches, slaps and swipes as a rusher