You are here
Thu., Mar. 01, 2018 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM PST
Thu., Apr. 26, 2018 12:00 PM PDT
Five Fun Facts about Desmond King
Chargers News To Your Inbox!
Sign up for the free Chargers email newsletter and stay in the know with all things Bolts.
This offseason, we want you to get to know our players a little more off the field.
- Importance of Education: King could have entered the 2016 draft but chose to return to Iowa, mainly so he could be the first person in his family to graduate college. In addition, he was the first person in his family to even go to college. “For me, it was sticking to a goal that I had growing up. For my family and knowing I was the first person to go back to school and even go to college and get my degree. I felt like that was pretty important to my family.” King majored in broadcast journalism. He says education is everything for him, and over Memorial Day Weekend, went back to his brother’s high school graduation to share in the experience.
- Summer Job: King’s first job was working as a field maintenance member while he was at Iowa. “I worked at the baseball fields throughout college. I liked it. I prepped the fields. I cut the grass (and) chalked the markings. It was pretty cool because I got a chance to watch some baseball because I wasn’t really into baseball.” While he never played baseball, King said when he was in school he was either supposed to take classes over the summer or get a job. He chose the latter.
- Bowling Fan: King is the third Charger, along with Denzel Perryman and Casey Hayward, to admit he’s a fan of bowling. “I’m a pretty average bowler. I did a 155 with four gutter balls, so that’s pretty good!” King got into it for fun with friends. His mom was also a big bowler when she was growing up so she would take the family out. He said he still bowls whenever he can.
- Not into Fishing: If there’s one thing you won’t find King doing, it’s fishing. Growing up in Detroit and then going to school in Iowa, many of his friends enjoyed fishing or hunting. But not King. “I went before, but I didn’t catch anything. I never could get into it. It didn’t go well. I’m also scared of boats, too. So I was nervous about being out on a boat so I wasn’t really focused on trying to catch a fish.”
- Fav Franchise? Friday: “My favorite movies are all three of the Friday series. They’re all very engaging because they get the viewers to laugh and relate to them at some point. I like that they’re realistic because (they show) a lot of things that may happen in life. They’re pretty funny!”
FIND OUT MORE FIVE FUN FACTS ABOUT YOUR FAVORITE CHARGERS: