Here are five things you need to know about new linebacker Thomas Davis, who agreed to terms on a two-year deal with the Chargers on Wednesday.
1. Walter Payton Man of the Year: Known for his prowess on the field, Davis has curated a standout 14-season career thus far. However, he’s also spent his career giving back to the community. Davis runs his own foundation, Thomas Davis Defending Dreams Foundation, and in 2014 was named the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year.
2. Sneaker Fanatic: Davis has a truly impressive sneaker collection that the Carolina Panthers documented last year. He also is a Jordan Brand Client which he called a “dream come true” after growing up loving to watch Michael Jordan. He was into shoes before becoming a client, but take a peek into Davis’ closet showing you some of his favorite pairs.
3. Holding it Down for the ’05 Defensive Draft: Davis was drafted 14th-overall in the 2005 NFL Draft by the Carolina Panthers. However, while offensive guys like Aaron Rodgers and Frank Gore are still playing, Davis remains the only defensive player from the ’05 draft currently on a team. Davis has proved age ain’t nothing but a number as he made three-straight Pro Bowls from 2015-17, and finished third on the team in total tackles (84) in 2018.
4. Reunion with Richard Smith: Current Chargers linebackers coach, Richard Smith, was actually Davis’ linebackers coach with the Carolina Panthers from 2009-10. Davis coming to the Bolts marks a reunion for the pair who previously spent two seasons together.
5. SDTM: If you follow Davis on Twitter, you’ve probably noticed the four letters at the end of his handle: SDTM. What do the letters stand for? His kids’ names: Skyy, Denim, TJ and Mattie. It’s a sweet way of paying homage to his family.