The Chargers return to action Sunday afternoon when they host the AFC North leading Baltimore Ravens. Here are five things to watch for that could dictate the outcome.
1. Protect the Football – Simply put, the Chargers haven’t done a decent job of this all season long. The team has turned the ball over 22 times, which is the third most in the league. The Ravens, meanwhile, have been quite prolific in creating turnovers, recording 11 interceptions and recovering 10 fumbles. Ball security will go a long way toward determining the outcome of Sunday’s game.
2. Protect Rivers – Just as important as ball security is giving
3. Dynamic Duo at WR – That’s what
4. Stop the Big Play – The Ravens offense is built around a number of big play weapons who can take it to the house every time they touch the ball. This is especially true of Ray Rice, one of the most explosive running backs in the league, as well as Torrey Smith, one of the most potent vertical threats in the game. The Chargers will look to eliminate these two players’ big play capabilities and eliminate the Ravens ability to capitalize on any quick strikes for scores..
5. Special Teams Stability – A pair of blocked punts in the last two games ended up playing a critical role in the Chargers dropping both contests. Against an excellent Ravens’ special teams unit, the Bolts need to be flawless in that area. After the special teams woes against the Broncos last weekend, Coach Turner declared the team must fix the mistakes they’ve been making on special teams. On Sunday they will have their first chance to show they’ve done that.