You are here
Five Fun Facts: Caleb Sturgis
Chargers News To Your Inbox!
Sign up for the free Chargers email newsletter and stay in the know with all things Bolts.
Here are five things you need to know about new kicker Caleb Sturgis, who signed a two-year deal with the Chargers on Friday.
1. Heading West – Sturgis joins the Chargers out west after spending two seasons with the Miami Dolphins and three with the Philadelphia Eagles. As the Dolphins’ fifth-round pick in 2013, Sturgis made 26-of-34 attempts as a rookie and converted 29-of-37 the following year. After joining the Eagles in 2015, he made 80-percent of his kicks each year with the team before his 2017 season was cut short due to injury after only one game.
2. Kickin’ with Campers – Sturgis is a coach for Kohl’s Kicking Camps. He helps coach high school, college and professional kickers on various Florida stops of Kohl’s Professional Camps, which are held across the nation. Kickers at the camps are ranked by camp director Jamie Kohl for ESPN, who then selects players to the Under Armour and Blue/Grey All-American Games. Sturgis was a former Under Armour All-American in high school.
3. Recently Got a Ring – Due to winning Super Bowl LII with the Eagles, Sturgis is the fifth player on the Bolts’ roster to have received a ring. Others include Virgil Green, Brandon Mebane, Russell Okung and Michael Schofield.
4. From a Family of Athletes – Sturgis isn’t the only sports professional in his family. His brother, Nathan, is a soccer player who most recently played with the Seattle Sounders in 2016. A fan of the sport, Caleb said two bucket list items of his are to watch the U.S. Men’s National Team win a World Cup, and attend a World Cup match.
5. Favorite Meal – The newest member of the Bolts considers burrito bowls to be his favorite food. Looks like he won’t have any trouble finding those in his new digs in L.A. Read