You are here
Chargers Sound Off on "Thank You San Diego Day"
Chargers News To Your Inbox!
Sign up for the free Chargers email newsletter and stay in the know with all things Bolts.
Today in honor of “Thank You San Diego Day,” members of the San Diego Chargers coaching staff and players surprised fans at several different locations in San Diego County. Not only were the fans thrilled, but so were the players. Here is what several members of the Chargers organization had to say during the event:
- Executive Vice President and CEO A.G. Spanos: “This day is just our way to say thank you to San Diego. We’re proud to be San Diego’s team and we’ve got the entire team out in full force, along with the Charger Girls and members of our staff to show our appreciation for San Diego.”
- General Manager Tom Telesco: ““This gives us a great chance to get out in the community and meet people and say thank you to the fans that support us. The fans are with us week after week, so the chance to get out and tell them what they mean to us, it’s great.”
- Quarterback Philip Rivers: “It’s been good. It’s not every day you go to the zoo in uniform, so it’s been fun. The fans and the crowd seemed real excited. We caught them by surprise. It’s kind of the middle of the offseason so hopefully (we) get them that much more excited about this year.”
- Free safety Eric Weddle: “It’s probably pretty weird for them, like ‘What are you guys doing here?’ It’s cool to visit with the fans, tell them thanks and tell them we appreciate them. They’re the reasons we go out there and fight. It should be a great year.”
- Defensive End Kendall Reyes: “This has been great. Getting out with the fans and seeing this great city, this is what it’s all about. We’re looking forward to having a real good season, and the fans are an important part of that. This has been a lot of fun.
- Cornerback Derek Cox: “The day is going pretty well. The fans are very receptive to us, and they’re feeding off of these uniforms. Their energy is definitely getting us revved up, so it’s working hand-in-hand. (It’s my) first time doing something like this, but I’m impressed with the idea and excited about it… It’s a lot of fun.”
- Defensive tackle Cam Thomas: “This is special. Real special. I just want to tell each fan thank you and let them know how much they mean to me. We’ve had our lows, now they’re about to see our highs. Thank you for supporting us.”
- Wide receiver Danario Alexander: “Today was a great experience. We started off meeting fans at the beach and everything. We had a good time interacting with the people, but of course the best time was coming to Sea World and getting splashed by the killer whales. Of course, everybody’s soaked, so it was a good time. We got to interact with the dolphins and everything, things you don’t get to do everyday. Of course, we appreciate everything we did today.”
- Safety Darrell Stuckey: “It’s going really good. All the fans are surprised, they’re pretty excited about it. We’re just having a good time. The fans are pretty excited, and they’re like, ‘What are you doing here? what are you guys selling or promoting?’ But we’re just here to say thank you. I think it’s fun.”
- Center Nick Hardwick: “We’re just visiting with folks, shaking hands, taking pictures, signing autographs. We’re just having a good time, thanking everybody for their support.”
- Punter Mike Scifres: “It was good. It was exciting. To see the surprise reaction of us just popping up and just being able to say thank you to them for what they do for us. Without the support of them, it wouldn’t be possible for what we do. Just thanking them and telling them how much we appreciate them every Sunday. I really enjoyed it. It was a good interaction and it was a lot of fun.”
- Defensive end Corey Liuget: “Today was spectacular. Amazing. Terrific. It’s great to give back to the community and let them see our faces around this amazing city.”
- Cornerback Marcus Gilchrist: “Today is going great, out here interacting with the fans, and the people. It’s always good to put a smile on people’s faces. I think it’s a good thing you just jump up on people and surprise them. Someone could be having a bad day and you can brighten up somebody’s day. We understand that if it wasn’t for the fans, the Chargers wouldn’t be who we are. It’s one of those things where we can come out and support these guys and show them we love them just as much as they do.”
- Left tackle Max Starks: “This is a great opportunity to be out here today, supporting fans, showing them we care about the city of San Diego and we want them to come out and support us just like we’re out here supporting them.”
- Right tackle D.J. Fluker: “(We’re) just showing the fans we appreciate their support, showing them that we do believe in them and they believe in us. (We’re just) having a great time, meeting everybody and building that chemistry for the season. We’re looking forward to a great season, going to the championship, playoffs and win a Super Bowl. That’s our goal. Bolt Up.”
- Cornerback Shareece Wright: “It’s been great. It’s been nice. The funniest thing is people not expecting us, then they don’t really know it’s us until being there for about five to 10 minutes and then they realize it’s really us. Then, the whole atmosphere changes. It’s been great. This is the first time I’ve been a part of something like this and it’s awesome. I love it. The tables turned. It’s our time to thank them and be fans of them.”
- Wide receiver Vincent Brown: “The whole day has been fun. We started off at the beach, having a lot of fun over there. I think a lot of guys had fun getting on the rides and all of that stuff with all of the kids. They were trying to get us to go on pretty much every ride at the park. It was fun. Just being here, hanging out with all of the fans, getting to play with the dolphins and all of that stuff, it’s been real fun.”
- Strong safety Brandon Taylor: “It’s very fun, very exciting to be out here with all of the fans. Just interacting with them in everyday life and just putting a smile on their faces. This is actually my first time ever doing something like this. I wish that we would do it more often.”