You are here
Telesco's Conference Call with Season Ticket Holders
General Manager Tom Telesco held a 45 minute conference call with nearly 2,500 season ticket holders, offering an inside glimpse into the state of the team. You can listen to the entire call above, but here are some of the highlights: Read
- Telesco described first round draft choice D.J. Fluker as “tough and nasty,” saying that he would bring a physicality back to the offensive line that fans came to expect during the days of Kris Dielman.
- He said Manti Te’o has one of the highest football IQ’s he’s ever been around. Later, he lauded Te’o’s third down capabilities in college, saying he excelled in zones and had great football awareness and an innate sense of where to be. Still, he said it remains to be seen whether he is able to excel in third down situations as a rookie or if that will come with time.
- Telesco is a fan of defensive coordinator John Pagano and likes the mix of a young defensive core combined with veteran leadership of Eric Weddle and Jarret Johnson.
- After missing his entire rookie year with a pectoral injury, guard Johnnie Troutman is expected to compete for a starting spot. Telesco was a fan of his while with the Colts.
- Regarding Jeromey Clary, the general manager lauded the veteran for being a consummate pro with the addition of Fluker. Said Clary is open to moving positions to guard for the betterment of the team.
- Telesco had high praise for diminutive running back Danny Woodhead. Said even though he is short he is very strong and “he has some magic to him.” When Telesco was in Indianapolis he said Woodhead always found ways to beat the Colts.
- Asked about depth at nose tackle behind Cam Thomas, he said he's excited about two rookie free agents - Kwame Geathers and Byron Jerideau.
- Telesco raved about Keenan Allen’s versatility. Said he can play in the slot and also out wide, and also has punt return capabilities.
- Fifth round draft choice Steve Williams first caught Telesco’s eye when he intercepted Andrew Luck when he was scouting the quarterback with the Colts. He said Williams is one of the fastest defensive backs in the draft.
- Sixth round pick Tourek Williams impressed the GM with his nonstop motor and never say die attitude on the field.
- Seventh round draft choice Brad Sorensen impressed QB coach Frank Reich with his football intelligence and intangibles.
- Regarding Philip Rivers, Telesco said the quarterback has weapons around him. In particular, he said the wide receivers are very deep, Ryan Mathews and Woodhead are playmakers and the offensive line has improved.
- Watching the team during minicamp, Telesco was impressed by the connection between Rivers and Antonio Gates. Said you could blind fold Rivers and he’d know where the tight end was.
- Telesco is a fan of Mathews. Said he is a great kid and works extremely hard. He liked Mathews when with the Colts, and they game planned around him. He expects big things from the running back.
- The general manager is most impressed by the team’s work ethic. Said, "If a guy can't keep up with our work ethic, he won't be here." Very pleased so far by what he’s seen.
- Telesco says Marcus Gilchrist "could be in the mix for safety as well as corner." He loves his versatility, and was a big fan of Gilchrist coming out of college.