You are here
Sun., Dec. 11, 2016 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM PST
Sun., Dec. 11, 2016 1:01 PM to 3:00 PM PST
Sun., Dec. 18, 2016 11:25 AM to 1:24 PM PST
Chargers Thrilled With Addition of Explosive Meachem
Chargers News To Your Inbox!
Sign up for the free Chargers email newsletter and stay in the know with all things Bolts.
Everyone knows quarterback Philip Rivers excels at throwing the deep ball, capable of making a big play every time he steps back in the pocket.
That’s why he is perhaps happier than anyone else in the organization with the addition of Robert Meachem, one of the best in the business at converting those long passes into completions.
“Robert obviously brings a lot of speed,” said Rivers. “He also has a strong veteran presence and is a guy who demands a lot of himself. He fits right in with what we are trying to accomplish here.”
The 6-foot-2, 215-pounder joins the Chargers after spending his first five years in the league with the New Orleans Saints. He was inactive every game as a rookie, but ever since taking the field, he has shown a knack for being a big play threat, totaling 141 catches for 2,269 yards and 23 touchdowns since 2008. Meachem says fans should expect more of the same from him now that he is suiting up for the Bolts.
“My role is to be a big play guy and make plays,” he said. “My favorite part about joining this team is that we throw the ball. It’s an honor to have Philip as my quarterback, throwing those deep passes like he does. He’s a Pro Bowl type quarterback and I think he can make me into a Pro Bowl type receiver. So that’s all you can really ask for.”
Rivers and Meachem have worked hard the first few weeks of training camp to develop a rapport so they can come out of the gate strong on September 10th in Oakland. Head coach Norv Turner believes they are almost there.
“Like anything else it’s a work in progress, but it’s coming along great,” he said. “There’s little things they still have to work together to figure out and get on the same page, but there’s a lot of things they are doing really well.”
Overall, Turner is just thrilled to have Meachem on the squad, and expects him to make a major impact this season.
“He’s just a complete receiver that can beat you any number of ways,” said Turner. “He’s an explosive player that makes big plays, and he’s got great hands, so he’s an excellent third down receiver. The thing that we are discovering right now is that he’s really good in the red zone, so that’s a nice bonus.”
Trading in the dynamic Saints offense for the equally dangerous Bolts attack, Meachem is energized and ready to make a name for himself here in southern California.
“Fans should expect more of the same from me,” he said. “Right now I feel really good. I’m taking it one day at a time and getting on the same page as Philip, and I’m learning what Norv is trying to do. I’m going to go from there. But I will still be that big play guy I’ve been my entire career.”
Quick Hits Read
- Philip Rivers threw a beautiful ball 30 yards out to the back pylon where it was caught for a score by Roscoe Parrish.
- Parrish also showed nifty footwork to stay inbounds on a ball thrown near the left sideline.
- Ronnie Brown burst through a gaping whole between the left tackle and guard for a huge gain.
- Donald Butler recovered a fumble in the backfield.
- Mike Willie made a full extension diving catch down the right sideline.
- Malcom Floyd snatched a deep 45-yard throw from Rivers out of the air between two defenders.
- Charlie Whitehurst checked down to Jacob Hester to convert a goal line score.
- Atari Bigby and Demorrio Williams had back to back deflection in the end zone to prevent touchdowns.
- Ladarius Green continued to build strong chemistry with Whitehurst, connecting on numerous catches.
- Marcus Gilchrist was held out of practice with soreness.
- Garrett Brown was suspended by the league for testing positive for performance enhancing substances.
- Kellen Winslow Sr. today was named vice president for athletics and wellness at Lakeland College.
- Tickets still remain for Saturday’s contest against the Dallas Cowboys. Click here to purchase.